Casual Motorsport?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Casual Motorsport?

Postby Dell'Orto » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:16 am

So is there anything coming up in the next few months that would suit a non car club type person? The Corolla I have, although looks like a sack of hairy assholes is actually mechanically sound and I'd quite like to take it out and give it a legal hiding before I offload it.
Any autocross type things out the back of Upper Hutt any time soon?
1988 KE70 Wagon - Slowly rusting
1993 AE101 Corolla - Why is this a project now??
OMG so shiny!

Quint wrote:Not just cock, large cock.
User avatar
Dell'Orto
** Moderator **
 
Posts: 17474
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:07 am
Location: Straight out the ghetto, Lower Hutt

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Stott69 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:08 am

Would of thought you'd have Cam or Leons numbers? Both are board members of HCCC and would be in the know
User avatar
Stott69
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:51 am
Location: Wainui Central!

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby GDII » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:15 pm

There is a sealed autocross in trentham in September.
http://www.seabrightmotorsport.co.nz/Events.html Lots of kerbs to hit as it's a back road with no buildings there currently.
1990 SW20 MR2
Previous 1990 EE90 Corolla
User avatar
GDII
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 1604
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Dell'Orto » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:31 pm

Stott69 wrote:Would of thought you'd have Cam or Leons numbers? Both are board members of HCCC and would be in the know


Yes, and Andrew's, and Brendan's, but they probably wouldnt appreciate a drunken 1am txt :lol:

GDII wrote:There is a sealed autocross in trentham in September.
http://www.seabrightmotorsport.co.nz/Events.html Lots of kerbs to hit as it's a back road with no buildings there currently.


ah cool, that's probably what I want to do. Best make sure WOF is up to date!
1988 KE70 Wagon - Slowly rusting
1993 AE101 Corolla - Why is this a project now??
OMG so shiny!

Quint wrote:Not just cock, large cock.
User avatar
Dell'Orto
** Moderator **
 
Posts: 17474
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:07 am
Location: Straight out the ghetto, Lower Hutt

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Mr Ree » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:00 pm

What about the road and track series at Manfeild? The next round is on Sunday, Sept 21st, and if you havent entered before, you can enter the rookie class and dont need a car club license for the first two events :)
wak thud gush!
User avatar
Mr Ree
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:51 pm
Location: On the South coast where the tui's sing tututu.

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Dell'Orto » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:43 pm

No cage required for R&T? Could be good for a giggle, see if I can beat my previous best K powered lap :lol:
1988 KE70 Wagon - Slowly rusting
1993 AE101 Corolla - Why is this a project now??
OMG so shiny!

Quint wrote:Not just cock, large cock.
User avatar
Dell'Orto
** Moderator **
 
Posts: 17474
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:07 am
Location: Straight out the ghetto, Lower Hutt

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Leon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:51 pm

man you have shit timing, you could have come up to Manfeild today for hoonies.
User avatar
Leon
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 6632
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Dell'Orto » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Nah need to book ahead of time so as not to clash with parental duties....keen to get out and fang it though! Manfeild is less likely to bend my wheels than an autocross (or I need to get suitable tyres for the factory steels)
1988 KE70 Wagon - Slowly rusting
1993 AE101 Corolla - Why is this a project now??
OMG so shiny!

Quint wrote:Not just cock, large cock.
User avatar
Dell'Orto
** Moderator **
 
Posts: 17474
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:07 am
Location: Straight out the ghetto, Lower Hutt

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Stott69 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Think my 17s are multi fit, but only 3 tyres.
User avatar
Stott69
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:51 am
Location: Wainui Central!

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Dell'Orto » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Nah 17's are no good, offset will probably be up the wazoo and rub. I'm sure I could get some 13" tyres without much stress ;-)
1988 KE70 Wagon - Slowly rusting
1993 AE101 Corolla - Why is this a project now??
OMG so shiny!

Quint wrote:Not just cock, large cock.
User avatar
Dell'Orto
** Moderator **
 
Posts: 17474
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:07 am
Location: Straight out the ghetto, Lower Hutt

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Leon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:10 am

Dell'Orto wrote:Nah need to book ahead of time so as not to clash with parental duties....keen to get out and fang it though! Manfeild is less likely to bend my wheels than an autocross (or I need to get suitable tyres for the factory steels)


We're going to try to run some more grass autocross events in Featherston.

So I'd suggest join the HCCC and the HVMC facebook pages, and just keep a watch out there.

You can do two "basic" (this is a defined term, and covers autocross events) events without belonging to a club. After that, you will need to join up.

These Featherston paddock events are very road car friendly (I've run a VERY low Type R Integra in this paddock), and a lot of fun.

I can pre check your car to see if there are going to be any issues with it (such as relocated batteries, replaced seats).
User avatar
Leon
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 6632
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Dell'Orto » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Cool, will do that then. Seats may be an issue possibly, they're Recaros that have been fitted to the original rails. Passes wofs ok, but for motorsport maybe not kosher?
1988 KE70 Wagon - Slowly rusting
1993 AE101 Corolla - Why is this a project now??
OMG so shiny!

Quint wrote:Not just cock, large cock.
User avatar
Dell'Orto
** Moderator **
 
Posts: 17474
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:07 am
Location: Straight out the ghetto, Lower Hutt

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Leon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Dell'Orto wrote:Cool, will do that then. Seats may be an issue possibly, they're Recaros that have been fitted to the original rails. Passes wofs ok, but for motorsport maybe not kosher?


Two things to check for ....

1) do the seat runners lock on both rails, or just lock on one rail
2) Replace the original Toyota seat bolts with 8.8 HT bolts on the driver seat.

If it meets 1) and you change the bolts so it meets 2) it is likely you are ok.
User avatar
Leon
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 6632
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Dell'Orto » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:58 pm

From memory KE70 ones only lock on one rail?
1988 KE70 Wagon - Slowly rusting
1993 AE101 Corolla - Why is this a project now??
OMG so shiny!

Quint wrote:Not just cock, large cock.
User avatar
Dell'Orto
** Moderator **
 
Posts: 17474
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:07 am
Location: Straight out the ghetto, Lower Hutt

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Leon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:40 am

Better check it, because that's a scrutineering fail unless you're still running both factory seat, and factory runners.
User avatar
Leon
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 6632
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby GDII » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Leon wrote:We're going to try to run some more grass autocross events in Featherston.

So I'd suggest join the HCCC and the HVMC facebook pages, and just keep a watch out there.

You can do two "basic" (this is a defined term, and covers autocross events) events without belonging to a club. After that, you will need to join up.

These Featherston paddock events are very road car friendly (I've run a VERY low Type R Integra in this paddock), and a lot of fun.

I can pre check your car to see if there are going to be any issues with it (such as relocated batteries, replaced seats).

I do hope they bring these back. I'd love to get back out there and have a go at grass events. It's been over 6 years since my last autocross.
1990 SW20 MR2
Previous 1990 EE90 Corolla
User avatar
GDII
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 1604
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby ~SlideWays~ » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:31 pm

GDII wrote:
Leon wrote:We're going to try to run some more grass autocross events in Featherston.

So I'd suggest join the HCCC and the HVMC facebook pages, and just keep a watch out there.

You can do two "basic" (this is a defined term, and covers autocross events) events without belonging to a club. After that, you will need to join up.

These Featherston paddock events are very road car friendly (I've run a VERY low Type R Integra in this paddock), and a lot of fun.

I can pre check your car to see if there are going to be any issues with it (such as relocated batteries, replaced seats).

I do hope they bring these back. I'd love to get back out there and have a go at grass events. It's been over 6 years since my last autocross.


I'm wanting to do stuff like this again and Featherston would be good, has been many ages since I've done any. Last one I did was a year or so ago when we killed a poor old Barina in one day :lol: and would have been yeaaars before that where I entered an autocross.

I don't know which car I'd use though, Trueno would be hopeless, Safari only has M/T's (which I think won't be allowed?) and Chaser would be single spinning rev limiter can't even move lol's.
User avatar
~SlideWays~
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 4974
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:02 am
Location: Wellington

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Leon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:32 pm

You're right about the Safari, it would destroy the paddock even on road tyres, so you'd have to leave that at home for sure.
User avatar
Leon
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 6632
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Dell'Orto » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:20 pm

Leon wrote:Better check it, because that's a scrutineering fail unless you're still running both factory seat, and factory runners.


Bugger...how about if I were to use a fixed position rail? I believe we can (or used to at least) get some through work. Aftermarket rails for *E7* are expensive!
1988 KE70 Wagon - Slowly rusting
1993 AE101 Corolla - Why is this a project now??
OMG so shiny!

Quint wrote:Not just cock, large cock.
User avatar
Dell'Orto
** Moderator **
 
Posts: 17474
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:07 am
Location: Straight out the ghetto, Lower Hutt

Re: Casual Motorsport?

Postby Leon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:27 pm

Yup, if you fit a non adjustable rail then if it doesn't lock both rails is clearly not applicable.

Still remember to use 8.8 bolts though
User avatar
Leon
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 6632
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Wellington

Next

Return to Wellington / Lower North Island Region

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php