When do you draw the line with your car? (Daily driver)

General discussions on all non technical car related topics

Moderator: The Mod Squad

When do you draw the line with your car? (Daily driver)

Postby Sick Puppy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:12 pm

I thought I would raise this as a thread to gather the thoughts of others :D

Simply put, when and where do you draw the line with maintaining, repairing and upgrading your car?

I have a 2004 Corolla wagon, 240km. It's in okay nick, but could do with a refresh. It cost me less than $3k three years ago. Good ones here are going for around $6k.

The necessary bits...
* I've purchased engine mounts (necessary) and about to give it a decent service (new fluids and filters, including fuel filter). That's fine, servicing is expected, so meh.
* I'm replacing the sunvisor (repair).
I know the engine and head will likely need a refresh in the next year or so, as the head is sounding tappety at 110kph.

The not so necessary bits...
* I'm about to install foglights (upgrade lol), and was considering buying a remote key (OEM $300+ ouchie lol). I had stumbled across extractors for the lolz ($300ish! bargain :lol: :P )

When do you draw the line, say enough and start looking elsewhere? Three years of reliability, it does the job, it has given me no issues, and there isn't anything leaping out at me saying 'buy me!'. Is it worth spending $1-2k to freshen/replace the engine & exhaust, or should I do the minimum and flick it? Decisions decisions... any advice, thoughts or observations appreciated, thank you!
Project thread here

Discussion thread here
Sick Puppy
Toyspeed Member

Re: When do you draw the line with your car? (Daily driver)

Postby Boosted_162 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:52 pm

When I get bored of it :lol: don't think i've ever daily driven a car for more than 18 months....

Quite often I will spend lots of money on mods/maintenance just to sell it shortly after!
Current: '05 Subaru Outback, '08 Mazda2
Boosted_162
Toyspeed Member

Postby RS13 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Over 6 years with my 2004 RunX as well. Kept the oil clean and she doesn't miss a beat. Every time I think about shouting it some nice alloys or converting to manual I remember that I'm not 20 any more and putting money into a car that will never be collectable, runs perfect and gets me around without fuss is just so amazingly pointless.

Only thing I've had to fix outside of wear and tear is the steering rack getting a rebuild at 60kms due to worn bushes.. it really is the perfect example of why Toyota make the best daily drivers.
Daily driver: Toyota RunX/Toyota Caldina
Ex: 2x AE101, 5x KP60, KP61, EP71, 3x KE70, KE72, AE70, AE82, 2x TE71, AE90, AE92, ST170, plus 11 Hondas, 12 Nissans, 6 Fords, 4 Mazdas, 3 Mitsis, an Isuzu and a Lada!

RS13
Toyspeed Member

Postby Leon » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:33 pm

I bought a 2002 Corolla with 470k on the clock, and only sold it because I part swapped it for an 86. Otherwise I'd probably still have it in the driveway.
Leon
Toyspeed Member

Return to General Car Discussion