4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin *update*

The place for all technical car discussions. If you haven't already, read our Disclaimer first!

Moderator: The Mod Squad

4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin *update*

Postby aworldatlas » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:03 am

Hey all. Started work on a new to me AE101 Levin today, had prepurchased some new driveshafts from repco and it seems they got them completely wrong.

I've uploaded a pic of whats came out of the car, drivers side. The one from repco was just one long shaft with a cv either end, it seems like it needs to be short and have a bearing on the shaft. I can't find a lot of info, most old posts have pictures no longer working, but from what i've seen it seems I have 4AGZE shafts? And these are hard to find? :(

If anyone has info I can give to the lads at repco to get the right parts that'd be really appreciated.

Side note: if anyone knows the correct thermostat for a silvertop that'd be great too. Supercheap guy said their computer has them all wrong
https://imgur.com/a/QSm02
Last edited by aworldatlas on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
94 AE101 Levin GT Apex
aworldatlas
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby whynot » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:25 pm

From what I remember the face lift ae101 had the equal length shafts like yours with the hanger bearing. The earliest ones had the uneven length shafts which could be what the Repco one is.

The gze shafts are heavy duty both in design and weight if you had one of each side by side you wouldn't mistake them.

You should be able to run the Repco shaft if it is for the early 101 but it means you can experience more torque steer issues.

As for the Thermostat, I don't have the part number but I belive it's the same as all the 4ages. Someone will know for sure.
"You can't do it like that!." "Why not?"
User avatar
whynot
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby aworldatlas » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:06 pm

whynot wrote:From what I remember the face lift ae101 had the equal length shafts like yours with the hanger bearing. The earliest ones had the uneven length shafts which could be what the Repco one is.

The gze shafts are heavy duty both in design and weight if you had one of each side by side you wouldn't mistake them.

You should be able to run the Repco shaft if it is for the early 101 but it means you can experience more torque steer issues.

As for the Thermostat, I don't have the part number but I belive it's the same as all the 4ages. Someone will know for sure.


Equal shafts - does that mean the shaft is supposed to separate just after the bearing, and I buy a small shaft with 2 cvs to attach at the bearing? I figured it was just so bad that it came apart there (they were really, really bad).
94 AE101 Levin GT Apex
aworldatlas
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby RS13 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Not that interested in changing the outers? Are the inners shot as well?
Daily driver: Toyota RunX/Toyota Caldina
Ex: 2x AE101, 5x KP60, KP61, EP71, 3x KE70, KE72, AE70, AE82, 2x TE71, AE90, AE92, ST170, plus 11 Hondas, 12 Nissans, 6 Fords, 4 Mazdas, 3 Mitsis, an Isuzu and a Lada!

Image
User avatar
RS13
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:07 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby aworldatlas » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:12 pm

RS13 wrote:Not that interested in changing the outers? Are the inners shot as well?


Doing the lot, its hard a had life from what I can see.
94 AE101 Levin GT Apex
aworldatlas
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby matt dunn » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:00 pm

aworldatlas wrote:Side note: if anyone knows the correct thermostat for a silvertop that'd be great too. Supercheap guy said their computer has them all wrong



Blacktop and silvertop 20V thermostats are different sizes and do not interchange.
Just as cheap from toyota with a good discount as they are at repco.
You will need the rubber seal too probably
as they are usually buggered if they are years old and you struggle to get them to fit back in.
7AGTE - DX20VT - viewtopic.php?t=59733
Discussion - viewtopic.php?t=59751
matt dunn
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 7093
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Timaru

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby aworldatlas » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:38 pm

matt dunn wrote:
aworldatlas wrote:Side note: if anyone knows the correct thermostat for a silvertop that'd be great too. Supercheap guy said their computer has them all wrong



Blacktop and silvertop 20V thermostats are different sizes and do not interchange.
Just as cheap from toyota with a good discount as they are at repco.
You will need the rubber seal too probably
as they are usually buggered if they are years old and you struggle to get them to fit back in.


Ok, I've messaged toyota about the thermostat. Just gotta get these driveshafts sorted now..
94 AE101 Levin GT Apex
aworldatlas
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby Dell'Orto » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:44 pm

Repco ones are to suit 4AFE, not 20v. Just replace the outers, inners don't usually give issue.
1988 KE70 Wagon - Slowly rusting
1990 NA6 MX-5 - because reasons
2018 Ranger - Because workcar
OMG so shiny!

Quint wrote:Not just cock, large cock.
User avatar
Dell'Orto
** Moderator **
 
Posts: 17481
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:07 am
Location: Straight out the ghetto, Lower Hutt

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby Pelo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:17 pm

Driveshafts with CVs should be a reasonable price from Toyota too, I vaguely remember them being sold at a fixed trade price for passenger cars way back when I worked at a dealership.
User avatar
Pelo
** Moderator **
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:01 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby aworldatlas » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:01 pm

Pelo wrote:Driveshafts with CVs should be a reasonable price from Toyota too, I vaguely remember them being sold at a fixed trade price for passenger cars way back when I worked at a dealership.


I got a quote $414 per side + gst from toyota. I paid 175$ per side from repco (discount day). Not that it mattered much with them being wrong.

Dell'Orto wrote:Repco ones are to suit 4AFE, not 20v. Just replace the outers, inners don't usually give issue.


I had read about the inners not giving an issue generally, but because the cars of unknown history and I'd like to take it to the 2kcup I figured it'd be money well spent just to get the lot done. I'm not spending that much on the car overall, but the cvs were in a shocking state. If it comes down to it I may just have to replace the outters..
94 AE101 Levin GT Apex
aworldatlas
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby RS13 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:02 pm

I've had over 60 cars now, only once have I broken an inner CV when I lowered my DA6 too far and loaded it up. Smashed dozens of outers! Even then, when it went it was just an annoying vibration, got me home no worries. Inner CVs are remarkably resilient things.
Daily driver: Toyota RunX/Toyota Caldina
Ex: 2x AE101, 5x KP60, KP61, EP71, 3x KE70, KE72, AE70, AE82, 2x TE71, AE90, AE92, ST170, plus 11 Hondas, 12 Nissans, 6 Fords, 4 Mazdas, 3 Mitsis, an Isuzu and a Lada!

Image
User avatar
RS13
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:07 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby aworldatlas » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:15 pm

RS13 wrote:I've had over 60 cars now, only once have I broken an inner CV when I lowered my DA6 too far and loaded it up. Smashed dozens of outers! Even then, when it went it was just an annoying vibration, got me home no worries. Inner CVs are remarkably resilient things.


Well then, I'm not going to claim I know more than everyone else here - I'll look into just getting the outters sorted. Cheers lads
94 AE101 Levin GT Apex
aworldatlas
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby RS13 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:24 am

Good man. I've never actually bought an inner CV new, ever.. the DA got a second hand inner, raised it a bit and never had an issue again. Stay away from Chinese outers though, I've found the quality often lacking in longevity and spline design/fitment. I tend to stick to Japanese-made ones where possible, they're slightly more pricey ($80-$100 over $60-$80 for the Chinese ones) but they're often as good as OEM and last well.
Daily driver: Toyota RunX/Toyota Caldina
Ex: 2x AE101, 5x KP60, KP61, EP71, 3x KE70, KE72, AE70, AE82, 2x TE71, AE90, AE92, ST170, plus 11 Hondas, 12 Nissans, 6 Fords, 4 Mazdas, 3 Mitsis, an Isuzu and a Lada!

Image
User avatar
RS13
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:07 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby aworldatlas » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:49 pm

This has been a nightmare, the passenger shaft and CVS from repco had a same compressed length from what i could measure, atleast for important measures, but now it's fitted the hole for the cotter pin is half under the nut (threads a bit longer).

Drivers side, replacing the outer cv and just going to do the inner boot cause I found a small hole, and not supercheap nor repco have a boot to match, even going by measurements not make or model. Going to try Toyota tomorrow. Honestly never figured getting a few cvs could be so difficult
94 AE101 Levin GT Apex
aworldatlas
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby aworldatlas » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:44 pm

I just had a thought, perhaps i'm thick as too planks for it not occuring to me before - if this setup is running equal length shafts as was mentioned above, can I use two passenger side shafts and just seperate one at the boot/inner shaft and reattach it to the hanger bearing? Is there a reason that won't work?
94 AE101 Levin GT Apex
aworldatlas
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby GDII » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:47 am

If it's anything like the turbo SW20 MR2 the outer axles are identical even though they have different part numbers so can be fitted either left or right. But then the MR2 axles bolt together rather than have the whole CV come apart.
1990 SW20 MR2
Previous 1990 EE90 Corolla
User avatar
GDII
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby RS13 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Given the lack of replies mate, I doubt anyone here has tried this. You'd need to perhaps find one being wrecked at pick-a-part or the like and measure it all up.
Daily driver: Toyota RunX/Toyota Caldina
Ex: 2x AE101, 5x KP60, KP61, EP71, 3x KE70, KE72, AE70, AE82, 2x TE71, AE90, AE92, ST170, plus 11 Hondas, 12 Nissans, 6 Fords, 4 Mazdas, 3 Mitsis, an Isuzu and a Lada!

Image
User avatar
RS13
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:07 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin

Postby aworldatlas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:27 am

Ok, so update is I've fresh bits installed but on the first test drive I've gotten this noise: https://youtu.be/8exKAojg6qs

Its worse under load, starts not long after driving. Not a trapped stone in the rotor that i can see. I left the ABS rings on but they have clearance
94 AE101 Levin GT Apex
aworldatlas
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin *update*

Postby Dell'Orto » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:41 pm

What did you change, just the outer cv?
1988 KE70 Wagon - Slowly rusting
1990 NA6 MX-5 - because reasons
2018 Ranger - Because workcar
OMG so shiny!

Quint wrote:Not just cock, large cock.
User avatar
Dell'Orto
** Moderator **
 
Posts: 17481
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:07 am
Location: Straight out the ghetto, Lower Hutt

Re: 4AGE Silvertop driveshaft - AE101 Levin *update*

Postby RS13 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Sounds brake related.. or the clip on the CV boot is rubbing on something? What happens when you go full lock?
Daily driver: Toyota RunX/Toyota Caldina
Ex: 2x AE101, 5x KP60, KP61, EP71, 3x KE70, KE72, AE70, AE82, 2x TE71, AE90, AE92, ST170, plus 11 Hondas, 12 Nissans, 6 Fords, 4 Mazdas, 3 Mitsis, an Isuzu and a Lada!

Image
User avatar
RS13
Toyspeed Member
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:07 pm
Location: Christchurch


Return to Tech Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php